Chapter 14 Download Chapter
"Come Back Any Time": Reasons to Return
Assure every client that she or he is welcome to come back any time—for example, if he or she has problems, questions, or wants another method or she thinks she might be pregnant. Also if:
- Client has difficulty using condoms correctly or every time he or she has sex.
- Client has signs or symptoms of severe allergic reaction to latex condom (see Severe allergic reaction to condom).
- Woman recently had unprotected sex and wants to avoid pregnancy. She may be able to use ECPs (see Chapter 3 – Emergency Contraceptive Pills).
- Ask clients how they are doing with the method and whether they are satisfied. Ask if they have any questions or anything to discuss.
- Ask especially if they are having any trouble using condoms correctly and every time they have sex. Give clients any information or help that they need (see Managing Any Problems).
- Give clients more condoms and encourage them to come back for more before their supply runs out. Remind them where else they can obtain condoms.
- Ask a long-term client about major life changes that may affect her or his needs—particularly plans for having children and STI/HIV risk. Follow up as needed.