Side Effects (see Managing Any Problems)
Some users report the following:
- Most commonly, changes in bleeding patterns,† including:
- Lighter bleeding and fewer days of bleeding
- Infrequent bleeding
- Irregular bleeding
- No monthly bleeding
- Prolonged bleeding
Bleeding changes are normal and not harmful. If a woman finds them bothersome, counseling and support can help.
- Breast tenderness or pain
- Weight gain
- Mood changes
Other possible physical changes:
- Ovarian cysts
Help protect against:
May help protect against:
- Puncturing (perforation) of the wall of the uterus by the LNG-IUD or an instrument used for insertion. Usually heals without treatment.
- Miscarriage, preterm birth, or infection in the very rare case that the woman becomes pregnant with the LNG-IUD in place.
† For definitions of bleeding patterns, see “vaginal bleeding” in the Glossary.