- Fill one-third of the cap with spermicidal cream, jelly, or foam.
- Press the rim of the cap around the cervix until it is completely covered, pressing gently on the dome to apply suction and seal the cap.
- Insert the cervical cap any time up to 42 hours before having sex.
- Leave the cervical cap in for at least 6 hours after her partner’s last ejaculation, but not more than 48 hours from the time it was put in.
- Leaving the cap in place for more than 48 hours may increase the risk of toxic shock syndrome and can cause a bad odor and vaginal discharge.
- Tip the cap rim sideways to break the seal against the cervix, and then gently pull the cap down and out of the vagina.