Side Effects (see also Managing Any Problems)
Some users report the following:
- Changes in bleeding patterns† (especially in the first 3 to 6 months) including:
- Prolonged and heavy monthly bleeding
- Irregular bleeding
- More cramps and pain during monthly bleeding
Bleeding changes are normal and not harmful. If a woman finds them bothersome, counseling and support can help.
Help protect against:
May help protect against:
- Puncturing (perforation) of the wall of the uterus by the IUD or an instrument used for insertion. Usually heals without treatment.
- Miscarriage, preterm birth, or infection in the rare case that the woman becomes pregnant with the IUD in place.
† For definitions of bleeding patterns, see “vaginal bleeding” in the Glossary.